Shrewsbury Fire Station History
The Quinsigamond Fire House, circa 1900
The Shrewsbury Fire Department and the Shrewsbury Brass Band gathered in front of the old Quinsigamond Fire House in Shrewsbury Center. The original photo [ripped, faded and in poor condition] was scanned and enhanced using our Digital Imaging Technology System. The image is now available to be shared and enjoyed with all residents. The station faced south toward the Sumner House. Notice the horse carriage sheds in the background. These belonged to the First Congregational Church. This Fire House was torn down to make way for the new 1927 Police and Fire Department Headquarters, which has now been taken down and replaced by our new Center Fire Station Headquarters.
Police and Fire Department Headquarters, circa 1927.
In the photo above, the front door of the 1830 Schoolhouse is visible at the far right. These vintage images in the Historical Society Museum are now stored in our digital archives to be enjoyed by all in the future.
1927 - 2008
Above is the old station in its final days of operation. It opened in 1927 and was demolished in January, 2008 to make way for the new Center Fire Station Headquarters located directly behind this building, as shown below..
Saturday, January 12, 2008
The old, circa 1927 building is gone and the new Center Fire Station Headquarters building is shown in full view. It awaits the removal of the old concrete floor pad then grading and paving of the entrance to the beautiful, new four bay station.
This picture was taken from the 2nd floor of the Shrewsbury Town History Museum located in the 1830 Brick Schoolhouse on the Town Common. Stop in for a visit and your own birds-eye view! The Shrewsbury Town History Museum, Museum Gift Store and Old Photos & Maps About Town Reprint Gallery is open most Saturdays [holiday weekend excepted] September through May, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.. Bring the kids!